Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Smart Love



One day a guy in the elevator saw Macie and commented on how happy she always is. He asked if I had read the book Smart Love. I said no so he very highly recommended it to me. he said it's about keeping babies happy. He said I would love it. Survery says: I lOVE IT! I admit I am not a Tiger Mom, I am not a drill sargent mom, I am not good at letting Macie cry until she breaks blood vessels. I know there is a lot of western "wisdom" behind making kids tough from the moment they hit the doctors gloves. I just don't buy it. I believe how you say something to your child matters. I believe what you say to them matters. I totally recommend this book to everyone. I admit that I don't buy into absolutely everything it says 100% of the time, there are still times when Macie is whining in her crib (not crying, just calling out in that fake cry way) and I let her figure it out. I also will wait 5 (excrutiatingly long) minutes to go back in if I have put her down and she started crying hysterically again. I think there is also something to be said for teaching kids that when you scream and flail for no reason, people don't want to be around you.

Anyway, this book has ideas about what to do for almost every situation your child can throw at you for every stage through the teenage years. It has a LOT of ideas on how to handle tantrums which I am not looking forward to since year two is right around the corner for us.

Ben found it on Amazon for really cheap. Buy this book, you will love it.

Also, I love being in Chicago because my tow favorite books on "parenting" (Smart Love and Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child) are by doctors who have practices in Chicago. The sleep doctor's son is now Macie's pediatrician (have I mentioned she naps for 3-4 hours a day now!) and the Smart Love people have a whole clinic AND preschool here that I can take her to if I want. Lovely.

2 comments:

SMT Family said...

Oh I already have so many books on my to-read list! I am going to have to read this soon. I swear by Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I'm even more jealous that you are in Chicago now that I remember that Weissbluth is there. Lucky duck!

Crystal said...

It sounds a lot like Love and Logic, of which I'm a major missionary. Look it up, they have tons of seminars you can go to, which are super helpful.