So when I moved to Chicago I started getting sick. . . whenever I ate food, not just glutenous food but all food. I went to a doctor and as soon as I said that I have Celiac Disease she told me to go straight to the University of Chicago. They have a world renowned Celiac Center where doctors actually know about Celiac. So I called for an appointment, they had no problem getting me in. . . 6 months later. So yesterday I finally got to go to this center. I was a little apprehensive because I didn't know what to tell them or if they would really help me, my experience so far with doctors is that I spend more time telling the doctor about Celiac. I walked in here and this doctor asked me questions, but not about the disease, just about family history and symptoms and how long they have been going on and if my eating habits have changed. These are like real questions that would be relevant. She also asked me if I had been out of the country recently. I had totally forgotten that we went to the D.R. the week before moving here. So I got tested for all sorts of things that I could have gotten while out of the country, as well as checking blood count and antibody levels and hemoglobin levels. Pretty much I was really excited to know that they were being so thorough, and then I went into the lab area. They took 8 VIALS OF BLOOD from me! I felt like I was at an old time doctors office where they put leaches on you and "bleed" you better. I have never had a good experience with getting blood drawn, my body doesn't like it and I get faint and people have a hard time getting my veins not to roll and getting them to keep giving blood is hard. This girl though was awesome. She didn't hurt me, she didn't have problems with veins, she got all 8 vials without incident, she didn't have to restick me or anything. And when she was done I wasn't faint or bruised up. It was so refreshing to have a doctor be thorough and to tell me things I didn't know instead of the other way around. I think it was worth the 6 month wait. Maybe they will make eating bearable again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I hope they can find some answers for you. I am glad you finally found such a great doctor! That makes all the difference.
Holy Cow, Lexi! So how do you feel? What are your symptoms? I am very glad too that you are getting treated right. That is not heard of very often unfortunately. I love and MISS YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!
Ben, thank you for commenting about Dave's stupid hat. :) Next time we go to Mexico, I'm bringing you back a fake Rolex. Thank you with all my heart.
Blah how do you handle all the blood being drawn that makes me ill just thinking about it!! Hope they find out what is wrong, and I'm glad you found a doctor... see another reason maybe you were supposed to move there.
Post a Comment