Saturday, February 2, 2008

Glass Museum


Lexi and I went to the Corning Museum of Glass a couple of weeks ago. Corning is about an hour away from Ithaca, so we decided it was about time for us to see this wonderful site. In case you are wondering, yes, this is the same Corning that makes many of your glass cookware you have in your kitchen.

This was an amazing glass sculpture. This ball is one continuous piece of glass.


This was my favorite part of the museum. It is a glass sculpture of Catholic priests and Jewish rabbis playing chess.

And everybody needs to see a car tire made out of glass...


Unfortunately, our camera battery died partway through the museum. We got to see a glassblowing demonstration. We also saw 26 miles of fiber optic cable wrapped up on spools. In case you are wondering, a fiber optic cable (approximately the diameter of a human hair) can transmit as much information as a bundle of copper wires 9 feet in diameter.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, it looks so cool. I feel so bad still that we couldn't come with you. I'm glad you two had fun.