Monday, February 11, 2008

Musical Meltdown

With all of the beautiful things around me in the summer and fall and with such a wonderful new husband around who I love, I was living through the fact that my wonderful husband who I love to be married to listens to country music. I was also living with the fact that all of my cd's that are full of non country music are in my old car that now belongs to my sister and resides in Cedar City. However, now that it is winter, and freezing (the weather today says "10 degrees, feels like -3"), and the sun only comes out once a month, for like 4 hours, and these are the craziest people I have ever met in my life and I have to deal with them all of the time at work. . . I need some survival skills. I have taken to tanning occasionally for the required 8 minutes to create vitamin D in your bones and get the chemicals flowing in your brain again but this can't even begin to compete with the hippies and crazy people I see every gray day. And now my husband is in school more than ever so I just hang out with my one TV station and wait for Spring. I NEED MUSIC!!!!! I have started downloading new songs but you can only spend so much money when Cornell takes all of it and I am so far out of it now that I couldn't even think of who to download. I saw a singer win a grammy the other day that I had never even heard of!!! Okay I actually saw about 5 of them. It's a sad existence, I'll admit it. (But I can listen to freebird on the radio whenever I want.) So I am asking all of my wonderful friends and family to make cd's of music worth listening to (please no country, that's all this whole computer is full of, I've heard them all) and sending them to me. I am open to whatever. If you know I would like it, or think I would like it, or think I have ever in my lifetime enjoyed listening to it and you have it, put it on a disc! Whatever you have, whatever you are listening to now, whatever you thought was great over the summer, anything! The three radio stations that play music from the eighties and early nineties are not cutting it. I did find out from this experience though that I do in fact still know all of the words to all of the Salt n' Peppa songs. They don't even know what alternative music is here though, it's probably not organic enough for them. If you think you can help me out with some musical medicine message me for my address.

Thank you!!!!

3 comments:

Derrill said...

So I arrived in the former East Germany to an apartment that looked more like a tornado had gone through than my room ever did: there were wires hanging out of the light bulb sockets, brown water from the tap, the lot. The skies were a flat gray for THREE STRAIGHT WEEKS. We didn't see the sun or even different clouds the entire time. The whole area was gray - the buildings, the roads, the cars, the people ... everything was gray. (Okay, except the teenagers who had bright blue hair and orange shoes, the grandmas who had burgundy hair)

But then I learned from my mission president that he had relaxed the rules on what music we could listen to, and I had Mom and Dad send me a dozen good tapes.

Sanity returned. I could smile again and there was a bounce in my step.

In other words, I feel for you. "I reach," as Dad would say. I'll bring a sampler platter to Forum you can borrow.

jenny t said...

I have lots of Rascall Flatts songs I could burn for you. Oh wait, I think that classifies as country. Or you could always go through Mark's collection of "Now That's What Mark Calls Music" discs 1-7. Oh wait, it's mostly from the late 90's. :)

Seriously though, you should come over sometime and scroll through our ridiculously long list of music--it has a little bit of everything, and Mark hates country so that genre is pretty sparse.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. Oh that's funny! Well, I have a whole HUGE collection of CDs at my house from many many different genres. So, PLEASE come kill more time with me and check them out. I'd love it.