No, that's not a typo, that's the celebrity couple name for our friends, Derek and Beth. They weren't lucky enough to have a name that rolls off the tongue like "Bexi" :)
Anyway, they took us to the Ethiopian Diamond restaurant last night. They had been there before, but for Lexi and me it was our first time with the genre. For those of you who are not familiar, Ethiopian food is consumed with no utensils. You just have a whole bunch of spongy flatbread (loosely similar to tortillas) and you tear off little pieces and grab bits of food off of a common plate. Lexi liked the food; Ben had a hard time with it. It was fun to eat, but the spongy vinegar bread was a little hard to swallow (pun fully intended).
This excursion was partially driven by Ben's goal to try food from 10 new countries this year. Here is what we have so far:
1. Vietnamese
2. Greek
3. Armenian
4. Polish
5. Ethiopian
It's crunch time to find some more in the near future. Fortunately we live in Chicago where there are all kinds of unique food options.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
A Date with Deth
Posted by Ben at 1:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad there's someone else in the world who has had the unfortunate pleasure to try this food and NOT like it. I was taken on a first date to an Ethiopian restaurant once and I told the guy I would never go out with him again. I wasn't a fan of the feet- smelling bread.
I am impressed. Despite the poor reviews, I am excited to give the vinegar bread a try.
P.S. What is our celebrity couple name? Or are we the SMTs?
A few guesses: Shayler, Skynah...we have no idea, they are all pretty bad.
Skyler/Shannah, you will be heretofore referred to as Skrannah. Now that you mention it, Skynah sounds more appealing, but we have been calling you Skrannah for at least a couple of months and we're too stubborn to change.
Post a Comment