So I have finally started the job search out here and I figured the networking would be harder since I just moved here and don't know anybody (if anyone has Chicago job info let me know) so I thought I it was a good idea to go to a staffing agency to see if they knew what jobs were available. . . . . talk about the worst idea EVER! First I got there dressed nicely and I was WAY under dressed. Now remember this is not an interview or anything, this is just to fill out papers so that they can tell you if there are any jobs available that you qualify for but somehow the other people who don't have jobs got the memo that you are supposed to walk into this place with a Coach bag and Dolche and Gabanna shoes and silk clothing and snooty attitudes. I showed up at 1:55, my appointment was at 2:00. The guy who came in right after me also had an appointment at 2:00 he filled out his paperwork, the receptionist asked if he was done and he was taken back to talk to someone 5 minutes later. I finished my paperwork and sat there. The receptionist asked everyone else in the room if they were done and she took the papers and sent them back. I sat there for 35 minutes and once the room was empty she looked at me and said "are you done?" I said yes and she said "what did you do with your paperwork?" I gave it to her, a little confused about what she thought I would have done with it. Finally I was taken back and the girl I met with said "of course we are going to be very short on time since you were late" WHAT? I was so confused. I asked if my appointment was at 2:00 and she told me it was but I didn't get here until 2:15. Am I invisible??? The clock on the outside of the building said 1:55 when I walked in, the guy after me with an appointment at the same time wasn't late. . .had I not been sitting out there for so long waiting and she was acting like I had inconvenienced her day. I was confused. Then she told me there was only one position that she thought I would be good at and I would need a 3 piece suit for the interview (what kind of job is this that you need a 3 piece suit, I guess this corporate world IS much different than the salon or school world) and aked me when I could have one of those. So Ben and I went the next day to get me one (I look like a dork for the record, it's not something I would ever wear, stupid square jacket with shoulder pads) for the interview that was supposed to be Wednesday (the next day). When we got home I expected to see a message from the girl at the agency telling me what time my interview was. No call. No call Wednesday morning, I called them, no return phone call, called again, nothing. So now it's Thursday and I have a suit for an interview that I still haven't been called about. This company is not impressive, I think I would rather go the process alone. I did get to hear agency horror stories from other people though. Apparently no one loves them. The one great thing about that day though was that I came home and this is what I saw out my windowIt's not quite the same as a sunset in Salt Lake but it was very needed that day.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Job Hunt
Posted by Lexi at 4:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, Lexi, your problem is that the corporate isn't FABULOUS. When corporate executives turn fabulous, you'll fit right in.
Good luck.
Joy and I have both tried staffing agencies and found them wanting.
Again I say - staffing agencies job is to make you feel less of a person in one way or another! Sorry to hear your sad tale.
Luv ya!
Hey Lexi..Its Debra from knitting last night. When you showed up I knew you looked so familar for some reason and thats because Angella Cowan showed me your blog awhile ago because she knew you were moving to Chicago! So, I went to look on Angellas blog again and sure enough its you! Small world. Angella and I are friends from back in the day in Colorado.
Anyway...good to have you here in Chicago. Your job search story sounds horrible! I'm recently unemployed and havent even bothered to look because no one will hire a 7 month preggo! What line of work are you in? My husband is very well connected here in the city (I'd think he was in the mob if I didnt know better). I'm sure he would be more than happy to help you out if he has some connections in the field you are looking for.
Post a Comment